UNM Photo Banner


Temporary Disabilities/Injuries

The University of New Mexico is here to assist students to continue their academic success, even if a temporary injury occurs, such as a broken limb, surgery, etc.  While the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not recognize temporary injuries as a disability for which accommodation is legally mandated, the appropriate departments will assist to direct students to where they can find resources for such situations. Students will be expected to show verification of their temporary injury to the appropriate faculty or staff member at UNM. 

Should this type of injury occur, you should contact the following areas or individuals:

  • Faculty – You should contact your professor or instructor of the courses you are enrolled in and inform them of your situation.  By contacting the faculty member, they can work with you on your course assignments and with potential absences or tardiness that result from your temporary disability/injury.  Please refer to your syllabus for the appropriate e-mail or phone contact information for your faculty member.
  • Residence Halls – If you live in the UNM Residence Halls, you should contact the Community Director of your residence hall, in case you need to be moved as a result of your temporary injury.  For example, if you live on the third floor of an apartment, and you are currently in a facility that does not have elevator access, you can request to be moved to a first floor apartment, should space be available.  Should you live in a privatized residence hall, please contact the manager of that complex and they can inform you of the options they may have for you within their area.
  • Accessibility Resource Center – This office can assist in directing students to the appropriate resources for temporary injuries and can inform the student of resources available within the campus and community.
  • UNM Dean of Students Office – This office can assist in directing students or family members to the appropriate resources for temporary injuries.

Other Resources on Campus:

  • UNM Parking and Transportation Services (PATS) – Students who receive authorization from the Student Health Center can be issued temporary handicap placards for up to 6 weeks at no cost, which will allow the student to park closer to their Residence Hall and/or classroom. Additionally, PATS offers free shuttle service to the campus community.  Please visit the PATS website for more information on the transportation opportunities at:  http://parking.unm.edu
  • Student Health Center – The Student Health Center may verify temporary injuries and issue a letter to Parking and Transportation Services for a temporary handicap placard, which will assist in making your campus parking a bit easier.


Off Campus Resources: 

  • There are a number of medical rental businesses in the Albuquerque area, who can offer several possible resolutions for getting to your courses.   You should contact your insurance provider to see how they might assist with the cost of such equipment.  Additionally, you should communicate with your physician to see what appropriate equipment might be available to assist with getting to and from your courses.

Contact Information for Assisting Offices: