The following are common accommodations for physical access. All decisions regarding accommodation requests, including others not listed below, are made in consultation with the student's Accommodations Specialist and in accordance with UNM Policy 2310.
Below are the guidelines for requesting the "accessible furniture" accommodation:
- Students requiring ADA accessible desks or chairs need to submit their class schedule prior to the beginning of the semester.
- A work order is submitted to the Physical Plant of the Special Activities Unit. Accessible tables and chairs are moved to the designated classroom by UNM movers.
- The need for accessible furniture in non-classroom environments, e.g. residence halls, campus services, and organizational meetings, is determined on an individual basis. It is the responsibility of the student to make ARC aware of any accessibility problems.
- Custodial Services may assist in locating moved accessible furniture in academic buildings. The point of contact is the Senior Account Manager of Custodial Services.
- Front row seating. A seat at the front of the class is necessary to provide clear view of the lecturer and written information.
- Back row seating (near exit). A seat near the exit is necessary to assist in entrance and exit.
Arrangements for accessible transportation for field trips and other events when transportation is provided by the University are made through the Department of Parking And Transportation Services (PATS). The type of accessible transportation available is limited, so it is necessary to make arrangements well in advance. PATS provides the vehicle and driver at departmental expense.
View a map of central campus with accessible routes.
While this is not an accommodation, there are a number of medical rental businesses in the Albuquerque area who can offer several possible resolutions for getting to your courses. We recommend that you contact your insurance provider to see how they might assist with the cost of such equipment. Additionally, communicate with your physician to see what appropriate equipment might be available to assist with getting to and from your courses.