Addressing Student Questions And Concerns About Accommodations

Students are strongly encouraged to contact their ARC Accommodations Specialist with any questions or concerns about accommodations, such as the following:

  • Clarifying how to use an accommodation
  • Exploring additional accommodations or strategies to address a barrier they are encountering
  • Concerns about an approved accommodation not being provided

ARC and the student will engage in an interactive process to address the concern and to ensure that the student has equal access. There are various options for informal and formal resolution processes that can be used, depending on the specifics of the situation, as described below.

Informal Resolution Processes

During the interactive dialog between ARC and the student about their accommodation question or concern, various methods for facilitating a workable solution may be involved. Examples include but are not limited to the following:

  • Clarifying the student's rights in the situation
  • Coaching the student on how to best discuss the accommodation further with their instructor
  • Adding a new accommodation or modifying an existing accommodation
  • The Accommodations Specialist may contact the faculty member to clarify the issue
  • The student and their Accommodations Specialist may meet with the instructor. The student may also contact the chair or dean for assistance in the situation.

The goal in contacting or meeting with faculty is to discuss the academic barrier the student is encountering, address any student or faculty concerns about the accommodation, and to work out a solution that provides equal access to the student while also preserving the academic integrity of the course.

Formal Resolution Processes

If an agreement cannot be reached via the informal resolution processes above, then the student has several options they can pursue.

  • If ARC and/or an academic department has determined that an accommodation requested by the student would result in a fundamental alteration of a course or program, the student can submit an appeal to the Provost/HSC designee using the process outlined in UNM Policy 2310 Exhibit A: Reasonable Accommodation for Students with Disabilities: Appeal Rights Procedures.
  • The student also has the right to file a formal complaint with the U.S. Dept. of Education's Office of Civil Rights. This process takes longer for resolution, but carries with it greater consequences for the University in the event of adverse findings.
  • Once the final grade has been posted, if the student feels they have experienced disability discrimination in the grading process due to not receiving an accommodation, the student can file a Grade Petition alleging a failure to accommodate. In this situation, the student is best served if they simultaneously file a complaint with UNM Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO). OEO will attempt to determine if discrimination on the basis of disability has occurred, and they will recommend a resolution if appropriate. If OEO determines that a failure to accommodate occurred, the Grade Petition Committee will take that into consideration to equitably resolve the grade appeal.